You've lived the difficulty of transitioning into the United States, but some of the obstacles you may face can be alleviated with the more you know about your options. Your career path moving forward can be directly affected by the documentation and Visas that you obtain so we want you to be as knowledgeable in this aspect as possible. There are two variations of Work Visas that can be granted: temporary and permanent. Here is a little background on those options:

Temporary Work Visa Applications:

  • Post-Completion Optional Practical Training ("OPT"): Students can apply for OPT to work in their field after completing an academic program in F-1 status.
  • E-2: Those investors who are citizens of countries with bilateral treaties with the United States and are actively in the process of substantially investing in the U.S. relative to the form of business being acquired.
  • E-3: Only for Australians, this option is for those in specialty fields (with a Bachelor's degree or higher) in the instance that they possess the desired degree and experience.
  • H-1B: This will allow for the ability to work in a specialty occupation (again, a Bachelor's degree or higher) and for fashion models who have recognizable experience and skill. Only 65,000 of these are offered each year, but an additional 20,000 are given out for those who have acquired a master's degree or higher at a non-profit institution in the U.S.
  • H-3: This visa will grant the holder the ability to receive training that is not available back in their country of citizenship or participate in a visitor program to help educate special needs students.
  • L-1A and L-1B: Often found used for large corporations or for individuals of high corporate rank, these two will transfer executives (or any employees) that have useful knowledge from a non-US entity to work for an entity in the US that is directly affiliated or a branch of that entity.
  • O-1: For those who have demonstrated outstanding skills in science, business, athletics, acting, arts, or education.
  • TN NAFTA Professionals: Limited to those from Canada or Mexico. Allows for these individuals to work in major professions including but not limited to: accountants, architects, doctors, engineers, and teachers.

Permanent Employment - Green Card Applications:

  • EB-1: For those who have demonstrated outstanding merit and skills in arts, athletics, business, education, or research. This does not require a Labor Certification.
  • EB-2: This application would be for those who obtained a more advanced degree, those who demonstrated outstanding ability in science, arts or business, or those who are after a national interest waiver. A majority of these do require a Labor Certification, but the national interest waiver individuals do not.
  • EB-3: For those who seek jobs that require a minimum of two years training or experience, those with bachelor's degrees related to the field they're looking to be employed in, or those seeking jobs that require less than two years of training or experience. These do require a Labor Certification, unless the position is a Schedule A position.
  • EB-5: This application is for anyone who has invested (or are still in the process of investing) a MINIMUM of $1,000,000.00 in US dollars in a new commercial enterprise that has the capacity and plans to employ at least ten full time employees in the U.S. These do not require a Labor Certification.

As you can see, there are a plethora of options varying from industry, experience, and even time planned to be spent in the United States. Arm yourselves with the knowledge and let us aid in your pursuit because we will be with you every step of the way. Hire our experienced immigration law attorney in Houston, TX today.